BRIEF HISTORY


The Municipality of Laua-an formerly named as Nalupa Nuevo (pueblo near the mouth of the river) was already a pueblo before the Spanish-American war.  Capitan Luis Sarmiento was the first Capitan del Pueblo of Laua-an.

The Municipality of Barbaza, like Laua-an has also an independent seat of government.  When the Filipino-American War broke out the American Army burned the municipal building (casa) of Barbaza, hence, it was transferred to Laua-an.  Barbaza then became an integral part of Laua-an.  Capitan Justiniano Barrientos from Barbaza and majority of his line-up won in the election.  During the time of Capitan Barrientos a Resolution to transfer the seat of government from the Municipality of Laua-an to the Municipality of Barbaza was passed and approved pursuant to the provision of Act. No. 1748.  Effective June 1, 1908 the seat of Municipal Government of the Municipality of Laua-an was transferred to the Municipality of Barbaza as per Executive Order No. 14 of Governor-General James F. Smith.

During that time, many of the inhabitants of the Poblacion and Brgy. Guisijan filed a petition to the Governor-General that the Municipality of Laua-an be re-organized and agreed to construct the municipal building at their own expense.  Upon the recommendation of the Provincial Board and pursuant to the provisions of Act. No. 1748, the 11 municipalities of the Province of Antique was increased into 12 by virtue of Act No. 961 and further amended by Act No. 987.  Laua-an was truly recognized as municipality on January 1, 1915 pursuant to Executive Order No. 129 issued by the then American Governor-General Francis Burton Harrison.